Browse our members' publications
Conference and publication discouts. Learn more >>
Donate online or obtain our bank account and PayPal details. More information >>
The 11th International Conference
„Literature and Religion”
Submission deadline: October 1, 2016
The Department of Latvian and Baltic Studies of Faculty of Humanities welcomes applications for the 11th international scientific conference „Literature and Religion” at University of Latvia 2-3 December 2016.
Special topic of this year conference – garden and labyrinth in the Bible and culture (literature, arts, theatre, cinema, music).
Participants are invited to reflect on the interpretations of symbols of garden and labyrinth in literature and culture:
· Eden – the garden of sin and beginning, Gethsemane – the garden of suffering, Golgotha – the garden of victory, Paradise as the garden of eternal life, Garden of God, etc.
· Labyrinth as a trap, prayer labyrinth, labyrinth and pilgrimage, labyrinth as an element of medieval church interior, labyrinth as a secret.
The organizers of the conference expect the participants to prepare papers dealing with the questions of theology, literary science, religion and literature in interaction offering analyses and interpretation of the pieces of art based on any religious theme in today`s context. The possible topics to be discussed at the conference include also:
· The relationships between theology and literary critic,
· Influence of religion on literary process,
· Analysis of concrete works of art influenced by the religious motifs,
· Contemporary interpretations and transformations of the biblical and other religious motifs in art and literature.
Presentation length - 20 minutes.
Conference fee 30 Euro should be paid via bank transfer (the details below) by November 1, 2016.
The conference cannot offer any grants for travel or accommodation.
We welcome submissions in Latvian and English, the two working languages of the conference. Submissions should be sent via e-mail no later than 1 October, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizing Committee: prof. Ieva Kalniņa, prof. Māra Grudule, Mag.philol. Jūlija Dibovska.
Any questions and suggestions: email@example.com
Conference is supported by the University of Latvia, Literary website www.ubisunt.lu.lv and Theatre reviews website www.kroders.lv.
Click here for banner image information.